This is a junior level engineering position, that works independently and as a part of a team. The Junior Plumbing / Fire Protection Engineer is responsible for the design and engineering of projects under the supervision of a Senior Engineer. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: Design, calculations, and coordination of Plumbing and Fire Protection (and other disciplines as required) systems for new construction, renovations, and energy upgrades. (Building types include but are not limited to: healthcare, institutional, educational, commercial, municipal and industrial.)
The Junior Engineer is responsible for conducting work requiring judgment regarding the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria. The Junior Engineer supervises, coordinates and /or reviews the work of other professionals who assist in specific assignments. Responsibilities also include mentoring and training junior staff.
Responsible for the supervision of technical aspects of Designers as assigned projects require. This position will report to the Department Manager
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Key responsibilities and required knowledge include but are not limited to:
- Perform load calculations, analyses, and prepare specifications.
- Review the quality of designs and calculations.
- Maintain current knowledge and understanding of industry standards, regulations, codes and design processes.
- Perform fieldwork and document existing condition accurately.
- Responsible for initiating and developing drawings from concept through completion for assigned projects in conformance with the requirements, applicable codes, and design criteria established by the Project Manager and Client standards.
- Responsible for sizing and laying out piping and fire protection systems
- Responsible for design of systems utilizing CAD software packages such as AutoCAD, Bentley Powerdraft, or Revit.
- Responsible for preparing cost estimates
- Responsible for writing specifications
- Responsible for reviewing submittals
- Perform energy conservation studies, including energy modeling, life cycle analysis, and design of energy conservation measures.
- Ensure quality, quantity and completeness of the assigned engineering tasks
- Plan and schedule mechanical engineering efforts associated with assigned projects
- Maintain timely and accurate oral and written technical reports regarding assigned engineering activities.
- Maintain proper engineering files and records.
- Express ideas clearly and listen effectively to the ideas of others.
- Support alignment of customer and company objectives.
- Under general direction, complete engineering assignments of moderate complexity.
- Understand and assist with the preparation of engineering project scope.
- Read, understand and coordinate construction documents, including architectural and structural drawings.
- Review interdisciplinary vendor documents
- Understand the project change control process and can identify a potential change.
- Understand and possess the ability to utilize sustainable design practices.
- Possess a strong knowledge of installed equipment.
- Integrate all project functional requirements into a complete project plan.
- Provide technical guidance to less experienced engineering staff and architects.
- Build productive relationships with internal and external customers, including Architects and Building Owners.
- Ability to function in a multi-disciplined project team
- Coordinate between multiple engineering design disciplines
- Willing to attend continued education and training as required.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Interact with other disciplines, project support groups, construction contractors, vendors and client representatives as appropriate on an assigned project.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related field (or equivalent experience that demonstrates knowledge and ability required to perform the job)
- 2+ years of experience in the design of mechanical systems required.
- Proficient with planning, scheduling, conducting and coordinating detailed phases of engineering projects.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills as part of responsibility is client management and marketing.
- Knowledge on sustainable design practice
- PE desired, not required
- LEEDAP a plus, not required
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Junior Engineer position requires working in mechanical rooms and constructions sites. Employee must have an awareness and understanding of the inherent dangers of these areas and ability to work safely.